Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Lord of the Flies

By William Golding

This could be the simplest review ever.  How did I feel about "The Lord of the Flies?"  Well, one word sums it up...

Meh.

I felt nothing for this book.  While I appreciate the sentiment that we're all pretty darned closed to barbarianism if it comes to finding a way to forge civilization, I didn't find much interesting in the characters, the plot, and the ending left me annoyed.  Crinkle-nosed annoyed.

I typically am an underliner when I own a book.  I find interesting thoughts, passages, wording that I want to be sure to be able to find later.  I make notes in the margins.  This book has not one mark in it.  I considered underlining one section and then felt I was trying too hard to find something to like.

It sounds interesting enough- A plane crash with young boys stranded on an island without any adult supervision. There is struggle for power and control, with an extreme look at the folly in civilization and leadership.  But again...

Meh.

In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Literature Quotes