Monday, June 28, 2010

First Light by Rebecca Stead



I'm on a roll!
"First Light" is a children's novel so it may not be the most appropriate book to blog about here, but since I'm trying to alternate between reading adult and youth books (and since a couple of the readers here are also children's librarians), I thought I may as well include my thoughts on this one.
"First Light" is a contemporary fantasy book (and one of 2011's Sasquatch nominees, hence me reading it) set in Greenland. The best brief summary of the plot is also the best brief criticism of the plot: "First Light" is "City of Ember" on ice. I mean, really. I won't summarize "City of Ember" (a great children's book), but those who've read that will see the similarities in "First Light:" a young boy and girl live in a secret, hidden society that lives underground; the society retreated there years before to escape external dangers; resources are running out, and the children are convinced that there is a way out to world outside after finding a mysterious map and clues; the adults are stuck in fear and the status quo and forbid exploration; the children go anyway, discover the outside world, and save their civilization. That is an exact summary of BOTH books...but "City of Ember" did it first, and did it better. The only real differences are that "First Light" happens under Greenland's glacial ice sheets, and that in "First Light" there is a parallel plot happening above ground as a boy (doing field research with his glaciologist father) simultaneously discovers the outside entrance to the buried civilization.
Now, "First Light" isn't bad; it has some compelling aspects and is not badly written. It just loses points on originality. It's overly long (327 pages) and takes too long to get to the meat of the story, but once you're there it moves along pretty well. The characters are believable enough and the setting is intriguing, but it will not be a good choice for reluctant readers because of its slow pace, length, and slightly bland writing.
I don't regret reading "First Light" and I don't quibble with it being on the Sasquatch list, but in future years when a kid comes to me looking for a cool, realistic fantasy, I'll put "City of Ember" in their hands every time over this one.

1 comment:

  1. Haven't read this one yet, but plan to (I confess, I haven't read "City of Ember" either). I'll follow suit with my Sasquatch reads too. I'm almost done with "Leepike Ridge." I think the boys, and adventure loving girls, will enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Literature Quotes