Monday, June 28, 2010

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls



Finally! I'm back in the saddle! I actually finished this book like in April but I haven't written it up for two reasons: 1. TIME! 2. I wasn't sure just what to say about it, or how to say it. Well, now that I've got the time I'll just have to stop worrying about getting it right and focus instead on just getting it done!
In short: this is a GREAT book!
"The Glass Castle" is a memoir of the author's childhood, but it is so much more. Her parents are eccentric to say the least...the are artistic, paranoid, possibly mentally ill and quirky to a truly dysfunctional level. Her father, Rex, is a troubled genius of sorts who also battles raging alcoholism. Her mother is a frustrated and bitter individual with dreams of being a famous writer and brilliant artist, but can't seem to make either work out. The childhood of the author and her siblings is one spent in vagabond poverty, moving from apartment to RV to the homes of relatives, and living frequently in the family's parade of battered cars. Her parents, unwilling or unable to keep and hold a job, have a hands-off approach to parenting (the kids cook for themselves from age 3, run wild through whatever town they happen to live in, play freely with guns and local perverts, and are encouraged to run outside and play during lightning storms) that runs the gamut from amusing to neglectful to outright abuse.
The story is told through a rapid-fire series of short (1-4 page) vignettes; its not a style of storytelling I usually like, but it really works in this one. The passages were short and self-contained but still held an overall flow and momentum that kept me turning the pages long after I should have turned out the light (I finished the book, during a busy time in my life, in one day and two nights).
What's so compelling, though, is the balance and perspective the author manages to find in her approach to such a personal and important aspect of her life; her parents are, quite honestly, fairly worthless as parents: the children are often in danger and are almost constantly "neglected" based on contemporary definitions. However, there is never any doubt in the author's or reader's mind that the parents, in their flawed way, love their children incredibly. It is a palpable and sincere feeling that fairly pulses from the page. Likewise, there is never any doubt that children, even when they are grown, love their parents fiercely, no matter the abuse and neglect. The author is honest and unblinking and pulls no punches: she shows with complete frankness the neglect she dealt with and the pain and suffering that her parents mindlessly inflicted on her...but she never drops down into bitterness, or condemnation, or petulant victimhood. She does not let them off the hook, but neither does she demonize them. They were flawed, like we all are, but she loves them in spite of it.
It is a fascinating examination of our understandings of such profound and integral concepts as family, love, neglect, caring and understanding. It is a book which would make any thoughtful reader think, and feel. The characters - real people, all - are round and complex and living, and making up your mind about how you feel about them is one of the toughest and most delicious challenges of this book. Bluntly sensitive and tragically beautiful, "The Glass Castle" is a perfectly written book.
Since reading this book I've pressed it into the hands of four or five people, and all of them loved it - not just liked, but loved. Its a book that sticks with you. I could not recommend this book enough.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, sounds interesting. One thing to keep in mind though- people who are demonized as abusers sometimes truly are demons. Not everyone is a good person with flaws, some truly have no conscience and do not feel love the way that most people do. If you doubt this as truth, you've never met a person like that and I'm glad for you, but they do exist. So please be careful about giving too much credit to a person for handling abuse in a way somehow is above others and what they might "sink" too. The author felt love from both parents, so that is something that not every person feels. Abuse ranges from neglect to downright viciousness. It does not impact a person in the same way and some abuse is easier to recover from that others.

    Sorry, I am sensitive to this subject. I will usually have something to say about child abuse. I also realize that you are commenting on this particular piece and probably not meaning to generalize. I just hear different bells ringing than many do when this subject comes up. :) So much more about me than this book- sorry.

    I am glad it felt real and honest to you. Not sure it would be the right read for me, but I'll keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have overspoken...there is no explicit "abuse," physically or mentally. No beatings, no manipulation, no emotional or mental cruelty or disfigurement. It is the neglect - and the question of what is neglect and what is parenting style, and when does neglect become abuse? - that the author and her siblings deal with. That, and crippling poverty. I mean crazy, Appalachian poverty. And, truly, this book is really more about love than about abuse - how love, if its there (and it is for these characters), can shine through our weaknesses and failures.
    And I certainly wasn't making comments about any individuals or parents besides the ones in this book...sorry if it came across that way. Every situation is different and particular and must be handled in its own way by each individual...I would never pretend to understand the struggles of others, and certainly not to judge them. Sorry if my review came across as insensitive or ignorant...it wasn't intended that way at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, shoot, I just popped on to check my e-mail before heading to the gym and saw this...

    I don't think you were insensitive, I am just hyper-sensitive to this subject. Again, a me thing, but I do feel sometimes like I just can't keep myself from commenting about this subject for fear that I, or others like me, will be judged unfairly. I didn't think that was your intent, and said I believed you were just talking about the book. You didn't do anything wrong Dan. Please don't think I thought you did, I just have seen so many assumptions about "victims" or "abuse" that I feel moved to add my 2 cents.

    I don't have many subjects that I feel that way about, but this one and changing adopted kids birth names once they are past toddlerhood are 2 that I have passionate feelings about. ;) I never keep my trap shut about either.

    Once again- you: not insensitive, me: hyper-sensitive (but I'm ok with that because I am proud of how I've taken something terrible and moved past it to have a healthy marriage, a good career, and kids that know love from both a mom and a dad)

    Hope that helps. I'm off to kick some butt now...

    ReplyDelete

Literature Quotes