Friday, February 26, 2010

The $64 Tomato

Being a garden enthusiast, I've read my fair share of garden magazines over the past few years, several of which made reference to The $64 Tomato. So when I saw it on the shelf at the library last week, I snatched it up as quickly as possible, like a Wal-Mart shopper grabbing $3 pajama's on Black Friday.

And while I'll admit that The $64 Tomato isn't "classic literature", this one is a gardeners classic, sure to please. Mr. Alexander shares his tale of a decade long quest for the perfect kitchen garden, with all of the good, bad and ugly in between. Not only was I nodding my head at the naive garden dreams, miscalculations and mishaps, but I laughed out loud at the Clark Griswold like fantasies, the Caddyshack-like zeal for rodent eradication, and tales of the neighbor's gigantic yard phallus. It was a winner from start to finish. It's the perfect book for a gardener ready for spring planting!

Mr. Alexander has a new book coming out in a few months, 52 Loaves. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Literature Quotes