Monday, February 1, 2010

Pride and Prejudice- Volume III

By Jane Austen

Swoon!  Oh, yes I did.  I GET it now.  I know why just about every woman on the planet loves this book.  Could there be anything more romantic and thrilling to think of being so incredibly adored by a rich, accomplished man (2 things that never mattered to me personally, but if it happens to be a part of the package, so be it, right?) that he will perform secret acts of love to save your family (foolish Lydia!) and subdue himself to hear truth he needs to hear which you, and only you, can deliver to him?  And to profess his love so humbly and having two hearts joined together at last?  Oh, I feel a bit like a silly girl admitting how much enjoyed that ending.  But I did!  Had I been wearing a dress as I finished, I might have been tempted to twirl.  ;)

I've already addressed much of my thoughts on this book in previous 2 posts, so I think I'll just leave it at that.  I'm not sure I need to read another Jane Austen anytime in the near future, but I am glad I stuck with this one. It was lovely and poetic.  And I am DAMN glad I had a palate cleanser between this and Lolita.  

So what's next?  I had been planning on Lord of the Flies, but it just doesn't feel like the right time for it, so, if you care to comment and give me your input, I am weighing the following options for my next selection:

1. Siddhartha, Hermann Hesse

2. Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoevsky

3. The Education of Little Tree, Forrest Carter

If I don't hear from anyone here, I might pop over to Facebook, but I thought I'd throw it out here first.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Literature Quotes