Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Finishing Possession

By A.S. Byatt

Well, I said I would do my own review when I finished (why did I say that?). Anything I might say would be inadequate to express what this book made me feel. Hope, tragedy, complexity, love, regret, sadness, relief- all such commonplace words for an extraordinary book with so many layers of human understanding and characters that lived for me in their gradiated honesty.

I find myself thinking of countless things I could say, but it is almost like writing anything would warrant writing everything and I just can't. I will say that I loved it. I am gratefully for the ending- sweet, but not saccharine. Satisfying and whole.

This book, as Dan said, was an experience, a powerful one. I am so glad to have read it and it won't leave me anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Literature Quotes