Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Possession by A.S. Byatt : 200 Pages In



Since this is one that we are all reading, I thought it might be good for us to share some impressions and reflections as we go along. This post...written as I reach the 200 page mark...is an effort in that direction. Some of you may not be as far as I am yet (or all you all already done?), so I'll be sure to avoid any "spoilers" or detailed plot points.
Now...if you haven't started yet, don't get put off by how I begin this review; it will seem to start negative, but I promise it ends well.
As I began this book and worked through the first 30-50 pages, I began to remember exactly why I don't generally like contemporary British fiction. In my experience, it seems to be overly wordy, unconscionably lengthy, and intolerably loaded with obscure references and allusions. This book, in the beginning, was no exception. Byatt's guiding premise seemed to be, "why say something with 100 words when I could use 1,000?" He packed references to classical literature and art in cheek-to-jowl, and I found myself sighing and eyeing the clock as I read. Honestly, that first 30 pages felt like they could've been accomplished in under 10.
That being said...I'm very glad I soldiered on. I soon found myself utterly absorbed in the two parallel plots (one contemporary, one historical) and their gradual coming together, and was also surprisingly taken with and interested in the four main characters (Roland, Maud, Christabel, and Randolph Ash). I was also, considering my biases, increasingly impressed with the author's skill in weaving the four characters and two plots together so convincingly and compellingly together, and in his ability to make a fairly sedate and cerebral plot seem so vibrant and intriguing. In short, I got hooked. Between pages 50 and 200 "Possession" transformed from a book that was a bit of a chore to read to one that I didn't want to put down.
So, well done, A.S. Byatt. You got me. I'll deal with the extraneously detailed descriptions in order to uncover the plot, and I'll fight through the deluge of archaic allusions to spend more time with those characters. I'm really and truly looking forward to the next 350 pages.

3 comments:

  1. Well, by jove, I am 197 pages in myself. I would have been much further along if only I'd been able to read on the plane ride home. Getting up at 3:45am and trying to get a little sleep while a fat, hairy man invaded my seat (he was rubbing against my arm for 4 hours- ewww!) made concentration impossible. So, I only read a bit on the way to Florida... sigh.

    To comment on your comment about the beginning, I would have to say different strokes on that one, as I loved the poetic painting of Roland's drab existence with his poorly matched Val and the sad lack of scholarly respect his meekness warranted him in his field. He has the intellect and the passion, but not the command of personal relationships to communicate it effectively. I'm not saying I'd love to read a thousand books that were like it in that way, but I did appreciated the beauty and quietness of it.

    Some spoilers below:

    I must agree that the moving on of the plot has become more exciting for the reasons you described- I am anxious to get back to the story to find out more about the relationship between Christabel, our literary shut in, and Randolph Ash and the contemporary story as well. How much longer will Roland and Maud's discovery remain a secret- you know we'll be seeing more from the supporting characters soon enough. And what, what, I ask, happened between the early letters and the last to sour the relationship between Christabel and Randolph so??? And dammit, ever the romantic, I secretly hope Roland and Maud will discover something within each other... The silly little girl in me!

    I also MUST complement our author on an amazing mastery of a wide variety of writing styles spanning time periods and literary genres. Incredible really and the characters are so believable. When I read the letters I hear their voices and can feel their emotions radiating from the words. The excerpts from the characters' writing is wonderful as well. Truly an impressive work. Looking forward to the rest myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep...I'm working toward the 400 page mark now and am continually impressed. Byatt's ridiculous ability to write in so many styles, voices, genres and periods is astounding. It keeps getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete

Literature Quotes