Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Truth About Horses, Friends, & My Life as a Coward



Another Sasquatch nominee for 2011.

"Amy," you say, "aren't you supposed to be packing?"

My response is simply, shove it. And yes, I am. I am procrastinating people. Everybody does it. I also did laundry, finished this book, played swords with the boys, went to the store, read some of "Possession" (which is getting SOOOO good, btw), and am baking a delicious dinner, all in the name of procrastination. I HATE packing and I don't want to move. Pbbbbttt!

On to the review! I have to say, I really enjoyed this one (I think I say that a lot after I've I read something). Written by a fearful, math-hating librarian, this book is plain ol' fun. Hilarious, with stories that feel alive, we come to learn that horses have distinct personalities, just like people. They can be fun and frustrating, sweet and crotchety, again, just like people!

Our Sophie, first person narrator, is forced into horse ownership by an artistic mother with fantasies of the perfect girlhood horse riding experience for her 2 daughters. Too bad they start off with a nasty little pony named Really, which they decide is short for "Really Mean" after she shows her true colors. She won't be ridden and attaching her to a cart results in quite a hilarious story for our fearful Sophie.

Plagued by girls at school with moon-eyed dreams of horses wanting to befriend her only for the chance to ride, Sophie does her best to scare them off with stories of horror at the hands of Really the pony and manages to take care of most of them, but not Melissa, a brave, bold young lady that becomes the perfect friend for Sophie. She has courage enough for both of them. As 2 other horses are added to the family, and Sophie takes riding lessons, we start to see her emerge from a self-declared scaredy cat into a horse rider with a little confidence. She works on developing meaningful friendships throughout the story and we get a peek into her relationships with family (both sane and nutty).

And boy, are there a lot of GREAT horse stories in here. This author knows how to make the stories appear in your mind like you're sitting right there, watching it happen. They are so descriptive and funny that you really wish you could be there! This one is going to be a hit with the girls, no doubt about it. I think the stories hold up enough to entertain the boys too, but the subject matter and almost all girl cast will likely be a turn-off for many of the male crew.

I am excited to book talk this one to the kids. Many a girl has had equestrian dreams and this book will give them a little more realistic view of horse ownership, in addition to being a book about developing friendships.

He-he! I just got to use the word "equestrian."

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to read this one! Girls are always asking for horse books...which are so often lame or somber (Black Beauty, etc.)...how great to now have a FUN one to put in their hands!

    ReplyDelete

Literature Quotes