Saturday, January 30, 2010

Pride and Prejudice- Volume II

By Jane Austen

Since Pride and Prejudice is a larger work and is naturally divided into 3 volumes, I thought I'd discuss it that way. What I can report is that I found volume II to be much more appealing than the second half of part I. In truth, if I had not already committed myself to finishing it, I might have abandoned it... I find that the sections sans Mr. Darcy don't seem to captivate my attention, but whenever Mr. Darcy is involved, I find the pages turn themselves.

I have enjoyed the world presented here, though the times are different, there is much that is universal. The pursuit of love (or is it that? No, the "right match" perhaps is a better fit), what parents wish and desire for their children (finding a man of the right breeding has become today's applications to colleges, plus let's get a man of good breeding to boot- a doctor, lawyer, engineer... some things never change) all feel familiar and connected to current life. What I find interesting is how little is needed to go from interest to a marriage proposal in the time of Pride and Prejudice. Wowza! It also makes me wonder about the future- we know so much these days of our potential mates before marriage and yet so many seem to abandon their marital vows so easily... (some rightly so, but many just don't seem to be willing to work at it- there will be bumps in the road people!). What will we require to know of our potential life partners 100 years from now? Will we be analyzing DNA and brain scans to see if the match is a quality one? I digress...

What a delightful turn of events to have Mr. Darcy propose to dear Elizabeth! Though he did it Jackass style (yes, let's go ahead and insult her ill connections and upbringing- that will surely charm her), it was still wonderfully exciting. I do find that I understand his thought process and how his decision to choose her came with some serious risk to his position, but maybe that would have been something better left for a discussion outside of a proposal, hmmm? It would be like a man today saying, "I know you are overweight, but your personality has overcome how unattractive you are." So frickin' romantic! Sure, there is truth in it, but DAMN, that is not what one should say when wooing a lady. Of course, our Mr. Darcy has not even been accused of being overly charming, so it suits his character, but I did have to chuckle at how any man EVER could have thought that would be well-received. Jackass.

I also appreciate the character of Elizabeth so much- oh she is opinionated, but can admit her wrong upon reflection. I admire that in a character, fictional or real. I respected Mr. Darcy's decision to provide her with a letter of explanation after her refusal, because dear Lizzy had painted him in a terrible light. I felt genuinely sorry for him to have the woman he hoped to marry, in spite of her lowly stature, think so poorly of him. The letter at least put his truth out there for her to consider. I do find my age showing here though- how does a girl believe anything anyone tells her??? Even at twenty? Even during those naive times? I was so glad to find her analyzing Wickham's actions to seek evidence that Mr. Darcy's viewpoint seemed the most likely.

Anyway, I have begun volume III and am just waiting for Mr. Darcy to pop back into the picture. They haven't seen each other since the letter and I am DYING to see what happens next!

2 comments:

  1. It's not often that I spew soda through my nose while reading review. Yes, Mr. Darcy proposed Jackass style! But there we get "pride" part of the book. He was arrogant to believe she would accept, yes. But why would she not? Rich, handsome, intelligent. . . . We've seen earlier in the book what some mothers are willing to do/say to procure a suitable match. What is worse, marrying a rick jackass or depending on your sisters husbands(who may turn out to be even worse)to provide for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Mission accomplished (soda spewing mission that is). I totally hear you- he was SO right that she SHOULD have accepted according to every life experience he had lived up to this point- he's a total package (minus the cockiness). I kinda like a man with a little arrogance, so I probably would have cut him down to size a bit and then at least entertained the thought... ;) Yup, the "pride" is there sister and man, was this part of the book good stuff!

    Love you Miss Heather! Reading anything good currently?

    ReplyDelete

Literature Quotes